Use QuickTime Player (version 10) to play, record, edit and share audio and video files on your Mac.
QuickTime Player is Apple 's high quality video player , designed for Mac operating system and MOV video format. Therefore, despite the QuickTime version for Windows , perhaps its quality cannot be compared with that of the Mac platform.
This software is capable of playing extremely simple and high quality videos. Besides, you can also record videos with the camera, record Mac screen videos, record audio, or make some edits such as rotate, flip, trim, trim, split video ...
Play the video
Use playback controls to play, pause, rewind, play at a fast pace, adjust the volume and perform other tasks. Controls appear when you move the mouse pointer on the QuickTime Player window and they will be hidden if the mouse cursor stays still for a while.
Play simple, high-quality videos with QuickTime Player software on Mac
To fast forward or rewind the video, use two fingers to swipe the trackpad, scroll with your mouse, or drag on the video timeline of the video. You can also press continuously to fast forward the video or speed up the video playback in increments.
To view the video in full screen, click the full-screen button or select View> Enter Full Screen . On OS X El Capitan, you can use split-screen mode and play videos directly on Apple TV using QuickTime Player.
QuickTime Player can record videos from your camera or record screen videos of iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. It can also record audio from microphones or record Mac screen videos.
Record video with the camera
The video recording function works with the built-in camera on your device and the external cameras. If you're using OS X Yosemite or higher, you can also record the screen of any iOS device (including iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) using the Lightning port and that mobile device must be running iOS 8 and above.
- Choose File> New Movie Recording .
- To change video recording settings, click the arrow button next to the Record button . Then choose the camera or iOS device, microphone and video quality.
- To adjust the sound while recording a video, use the volume slider.
- Click the Record button to start recording. Click again to stop recording.
Adjust when recording videos with the camera with QuickTime Player
Record audio only
The recording feature works with the built-in microphone, external microphone or compatible audio device.
- Choose File> New Audio Recording .
- To change the recording settings, click the arrow button next to the Record button , then select the microphone and recording quality.
- To adjust the sound while recording, use the volume slider.
- Click the Record button to start recording and click again if you want to stop.
Record screen video
The screen recording feature of QuickTime Player will help you create a video that records all or part of a Mac screen.
- Open QuickTime Player from the Applications folder , then select File> New Screen Recording from the menu bar. The Screen Recording window will open.
- Before starting to record, you can click the arrow button next to the Record button to change settings:
- To record your voice or other audio while recording a screen video, select the microphone. To adjust that sound during recording, adjust the volume slider (if you see reverberation, turn down the volume, or use a headset with a microphone).
- To display a black circle around the mouse pointer, select Show Mouse Clicks in Recording .
Record Mac screen videos with QuickTime Player
3. To start recording, click the Record button and then perform one of the following actions:
- Click anywhere on the screen to start recording the entire screen.
- Or drag to select an area on the screen to record, then click Start Recording in that area.
4. To stop recording screen video, click the Stop button in the menu bar or press Command-Control-Esc (Escape) .
5. After stopping recording, QuickTime Player will automatically open the recording. You can now play, edit or share that video.
QuickTime Player offers a number of options for editing your video, including trim, split, cut, copy, paste, delete and flip / rotate.
Use the Trimp video function to remove unwanted parts of your video.
Trim video with QuickTime Player
- Select Edit> Trim . The yellow trimming bar appears for you to adjust at the beginning and the end of the video.
- Drag to select the portion of the video to keep. You can also perform the following actions:
- Click the Play button to play the selected part of the video.
- Fast-forward the selected part by sliding two fingers on the trackpad, moving with the mouse or dragging in the trimming bar.
- Select View> Show Audio Track to identify quiet parts of the video.
- Click Trim . All videos, including images and audio, outside the trimming bar are removed. To undo a trim video, choose Edit> Undo Trim .
Split videos (Split)
Use the Split tool to split the video into several parts, then make adjustments.
Split videos with QuickTime Player
- Select the time to split on the video, then select Edit> Split Clip .
- From here, you can take some action:
- Drag a clip forward or backward to another clip.
- Move a clip by swiping 2 fingers on the trackpad or scrolling with the mouse. At any time on the timeline, you can choose Edit> Split Clip to split the selected clip.
- Choose View> Trim to trim the selected video.
- Select View> Show Audio Track to identify quiet parts of the clip.
- Select a clip and choose other editing commands from the Edit menu , like Cut, Copy, Paste, and Delete.
- Click the Play button to play all the clips.
- Click Done . To view your clips again, select View> Show Clips . To undo video splitting, choose Edit> Undo Split Clip .
Cut, copy, paste, delete
Use the Cut, Copy, Paste, and Delete commands from the Edit menu when you are editing the split clips. If you want to paste a clip into another video, you don't have to edit the clips in that video: just select any point in the video's timeline and choose to paste the clip.
To quickly mount the videos together, open the first movie, choose Edit> Add Clip to End , then select another movie from the file dialog box.
Rotate, flip video
Use the flip and rotate commands from the Edit menu when you are watching a video or editing split videos. These 2 commands are used to flip or rotate an entire video.
Share your videos through many different channels
After saving the video, you can share it via mail, Messages, AirDrop, YouTube or in other ways:
- Open the file in QuickTime Player, then select File> Share .
- Or open the file in QuickTime Player, then click Share in the playback control section.
- Or click the file in the search section, select Share from the shortcut menu.